5.06.2009

zaccheaeus

i had a lot of money. i mean A LOT of money. there wasn’t anything i didn’t have or couldn’t get.

and i was secure. i had a government job. i was chief tax collector.

admittedly, i was corrupt. but what did i need integrity for when i had all this money? i could BUY integrity and still be rich.

i had it all. i wanted for nothing.

actually, that wasn’t true. there was one thing i wanted.

you see, there was all this talk about Jesus coming into town. he couldn’t have been more my opposite. as far as i knew he owned nothing, claimed no property, the very government i worked for did not like him... so why was i so interested when there was obviously no material gain by knowing him?

maybe that was just it. maybe i could tell that he did have something. and it was something i didn’t have and i couldn’t buy. there was something in the way he carried himself that spoke of... authority.

some people even claimed that this Jesus was Messiah himself. how else could he perform miracles and act the way he did – out of love and kindness? something in that gentle yet authoritative way of his made me wonder if what they said was true.

i had to get a look. i wanted to see for myself who Jesus was.

but when he came nearer it was obvious i wasn’t going to be able to see him. there were way too many people crowding around him, blocking my view. i’m used to that – i’m not a tall man. but i was a shrewd man and i was used to finding other ways to get what i wanted.

so i ran ahead in the direction he was walking, found a tree with low branches that i could get onto, and climbed. i was perched and ready for him by the time he arrived. i had the perfect spot to see him!

i just sat and watched him approach. closer.. closer.. and i got a really good look.

and then he looked up at me, and with that gentle authority of his he called me down out of the tree and join him – bring him into my home.

moment of truth right there. he laid it out - i could stay on that branch, watching... watching everything and everyone go by and amass my riches and collect my dues. and say i wanted for nothing but really... i had no integrity. behind all that money was a life that was empty and corrupt.

or i could climb down, take this man into my house, into my life, and get to know Jesus. i want whatever this man of authority – of God’s authority – could give me. yes, God’s authority! for this was the man Jesus they talked about. this was God who created and owned everything! my fortune was puny compared to all the heavens and the earth! and life! and truth! and integrity.

all of that flashed through my mind in an instant – and that was all i needed! i climbed down and welcomed him with complete joy!

and he accepted me. right where i was. right in that moment.

the joy in me overflowed. it was pouring out of me and i had to do something. i cried out – take it all! take it all!

and i meant it. the money that i thought was everything – i immediately gave half to the poor and the rest i used to pay back to anyone i had cheated

and when i righted the wrongs i had done – paid back everything i owed, reversed my corrupt ways, my word was finally my word. i was a man of integrity. i was a man of God.

i stood very tall that day.

my name is zaccheaeus
and i am second



this piece was performed at my church 5/3.
brucie was zaccheaeus. i was awed by his performance. well done. very - very!.. well done.

<

1 comment:

Bruce McHam said...

I like being called Brucie. Teehee :-)