3.06.2009

esther's song

          i am an orphan. i am a jew
          a girl of no consequence
          my life ongoing, but yet to begin

          silence
my heritage
my opinion
my role
          silence

          expectancy rises
          obedience calls from every side
          in whom do i trust?

          drowning
in sisters
perfume
in colors and song
          drowning
in effort
in purpose
in where i belong
          drowning
the process
the painting
the decadence
the throne

          it takes me over
          beauty becomes me
          look at me and i will gain your favor

myrrh
spicy
earthy

          it flows over me
          i am cradled in it
          it is my companion

rich
fragrant
poured over
anointed
a priestly consecration

          and the king summons
          what is a wife of only one man
          to a man with many wives?

a treasure
a jewel
a bride to be

          i’m adorned and chosen
          but they didn’t choose me
          only the girl they think they see

palace
family
throne
besieged
my husband
my people

          for such a time as this
          a position to barter
          beauty by design?
          i’m set in a song that isn’t mine

but i sing it
          i open my mouth and my heart and i sing it
i am a stroke of the brush
          it paints of truth and hope and love
it’s integrity
          and what is right and what is meant to be
          it is a story of a good and perfect will

          a song of the first
i will sing it
          my name is esther
          and i am second

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.